• The Pensions Advisory
    Service is provided by

Call: 0800 011 3797

Call: 0800 011 3797


Pension Problems

Avoiding problems

A pension dispute can often be a long and complicated process. It’s something you’ll want to avoid if you possibly can. This page contains tips for staying in control of your pension, even when things go wrong and provides links to other information which we think you might find helpful.

If you find yourself in a dispute with your scheme, we would strongly recommend you follow these steps:

  • When you contact your pension scheme or company:
    1. ask for specific information about your own personal circumstances.
    2. make it clear that you are a member of the scheme or a policy holder and give them your details so they can refer to your records.
    3. don’t rely on non-specific illustrations or information given to other members.
  • Get all the information about your pension in writing, signed and dated. Don’t rely on oral assurances given over the phone or in meetings.
  • Keep in touch with your pension provider. Make sure they are aware of any changes in your circumstances.  
  • Make sure you know what’ll happen to your pension if something changes in the future: if you take early retirement, become incapacitated, or die, for example.
  • File all your information in one place and let your loved ones or Executors know where it is.
  • Be sure the benefit statements you receive confirm any promises made to you, and check calculations.
  • Query anything that does not seem to be correct.
  • Don’t be put off by technical language and jargon. There’s no such thing as a stupid question! You deserve to understand everything.
  • Volunteering with TPAS - Sir Steve Webb
  • 60 second guide to retirement planning
  • Information and Guidance
  • Lost Pensions
We never contact our customers out of the blue
We're all ears How do you feel about the help you just received?

We would really appreciate a few minutes of your time.
Your feedback helps us create a better experience for you.