Surprising facts: FA Cup and Pensions
I always thought that the FAC Cup final was where the minnow football teams took the big boys by surprise. But, when I did my research, these are the surprising ten facts that I discovered.
- Tottenham Hotspur is the only non-League club to win the FA cup (1900-1901)
- West Ham United became the last side to date to win the competition from outside the top division
- Premier League side Norwich City lost at home to non-league Luton Town in the 2012–13 FA Cup competition.
- Peter Osgood is the last player to date score in every round of the cup.
- Oldest FA Cup finalist, was 41 years and 257 days old and the youngest player was age 17 years and 119 days
- Eric Cantona became the first non-British or Irish player to captain a winning side in the FA Cup and Ruud Gullit became the first overseas manager to win the FA Cup
- Arsenal and Manchester United are currently joint holders of the most FA Cup trophies
- Record for most FA Cup wins by a player is held by Ashley Cole, who has won it seven times
- Portsmouth hold the record for holding the FA Cup the longest by virtue of the suspension of the competition for World War II
- 1973 FA Cup Final was the only time that a coloured ball (orange) was used
Here are my top ten surprising facts about pensions:
- In 2015, female participation in the private sector has risen to a level slightly higher than male eligible employees
- Of the 18,000 customers who selected “press 1 if you have a complaint” on the TPAS helpline, only 1,000 were identified as having an issue. You can find out more about pensions and complaints here.
- State pension age has gone down! The beginning of the modern state pension was the Old Age Pensions Act 1908, that provided 5 shillings (£0.25) a week for those over age 70 whose annual means do not exceed £31.50
- The second top enquiry received by TPAS in 2015-2016 was regarding setting up, joining, contributing into a pension
- You should contribute more to your pension if you do yoga as it increases your life expectancy
- Male fitness instructors have a lower life expectancy than the average male journalist
- The highest incidence of lost pensions is in the lowest age group, age 18-44 – use our tool now!
- Pensions historically were paid to unmarried partners including Catherine Sedley, mistress of James II, the Duchess of Kendall, mistress of George I and Madame de Wallmoden, mistress of George II – see our story
- 51% of people now have held the same email address for over 10 years – has your pension scheme got your personal email?
- There are over 50 types of pension in the UK. Do you know what pension you have. Contact us to find out.
If you've got a question about your pension please contact us on 0300 123 1047 (Monday- Friday 9-5, excluding bank holidays).