• The Pensions Advisory
    Service is provided by

Call: 0800 011 3797

Call: 0800 011 3797


My partner or someone in my family has died

If someone close to you dies, you may receive benefits from their pension scheme

While it may be distressing to lose someone, it’s worth dealing with financial matters as soon as you can to prevent matters becoming overly complicated. You may also be entitled to receive some pension benefits and/ or a cash lump sum.

If the person who died, was in receipt of a pension, you should tell the pension scheme as soon as possible – you may have to pay back any pension payments received after the date of their death. You should also inform the Pension Service if they were receiving a State Pension. You may be able to get information on who has been making pension payments by looking at recent bank statements.

If they hadn’t started drawing a pension before they died, you should contact the scheme administrator or pension provider for all of the schemes they belonged to. It may also be worth checking for membership of other schemes through the pension tracing service.

You can read some practical information from the Money Advice Service here.

Frequently asked...

Where can I find out more?

If you need more information, please contact us. A pension specialist from our team will be happy to help with whatever pensions-related question you have. Our help is always free.

We never contact our customers out of the blue
We're all ears How do you feel about the help you just received?

We would really appreciate a few minutes of your time.
Your feedback helps us create a better experience for you.