We're changing to MoneyHelper

The Pensions Advisory Service will soon become MoneyHelper, the easy way to get free help for your money and pensions.

Call: 0800 011 3797

Call: 0800 011 3797


Voluntary NI contributions

It may be possible to pay voluntary Class 3 National Insurance contributions (Class 2 if you’re self-employed or possibly if you’re living abroad) in order to get a higher State Pension.

Your entitlement to certain State benefits and the amount you can get depends on your National Insurance contribution (NICs) record. In some cases it depends on your spouse's or civil partner's contributions. These benefits include:

  • State Pension.
  • Contribution-based jobseeker's allowance.
  • Bereavement allowance.
  • Contribution-based employment and support allowance.
  • Universal Credit.

Sometimes you don't have to pay National Insurance contributions (NICs). This might be because you're not working or you don't earn enough.

Between October 2015 and 5 April 2017, anyone who had an entitlement to a State Pension and had reached their state pension age before 6 April 2016, could have paid voluntary Class 3A National Insurance contributions to purchase additional State Pension. If you have paid voluntary Class 3A National Insurance contributions your state pension would have been topped up by between £1 and £25 per week.

Paying class 3 or class 2 voluntary National Insurance contributions

The NICs that you can pay voluntarily are normally Class 3 contributions, but if you're self-employed or working abroad, you can pay Class 2 contributions instead.

Before deciding whether to pay voluntary NICs, you should make sure that:

  • there are gaps in your NI record for which payment can be made
  • you know how much you need to pay
  • you understand the benefits of paying
  • If you’re unsure about any gaps in your national insurance record you should contact the National Insurance Helpline on 0300 200 3500

Alternatively, you could ask for a National Insurance Statement online by going clicking here.

When you can't pay voluntary NICs

You cannot always pay Class 3 contributions (or Class 2) for a tax-year; for example, if:

  • you're a married woman (or a widow) and paid reduced rate contributions for that year
  • you're entitled to NI credits during the full tax year.


Deciding whether to pay voluntary NICs

It isn't always right for you to pay voluntary NICs. It depends on several things, for example, how much you've paid in already and when you reach your State Pension age.  Click here to read more about deciding whether to pay voluntary NICs. 


Cost of voluntary NICs

The cost depends on the year you want to pay for.  The cost for the 2021/22 tax year is:

  • £15.40 a week for Class 3 voluntary NICs
  • £3.05 a week for Class 2 voluntary NICs


Periods spent abroad

You may be able to pay voluntary NICs if you're living abroad, or fill in gaps from when you were living abroad. There are special rules for this and you can find them here.


Time limits for paying voluntary NICs

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has made changes to extend the time limits for paying voluntary NICs for the 2006/07 to 2015/16 tax years inclusive, to ensure contributors who reach State Pension age under the new State Pension system are not disadvantaged. Those affected will have more time to pay voluntary class 2 or class 3 contributions for the years from 2006/07 to 2015/16.  The extended time limits apply if:

  • person reaches State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016; and
  • person makes payment by 5 April 2023.

The amount to be paid is as follows:

  • if paid by 5 April 2019, the amount payable is the rate that applied in the 2012/13 tax year for the tax years 2006/07 to 2009/10 for Class 3 and 2006/07 to 2010/11 for Class 2.
  • for the remaining years, up to and including 2015/16, higher rate provisions will not apply until 6 April 2019.
  • if payment is made after 5 April 2019, you’ll be charged an increased amount per week for gaps between April 2006 and April 2017.

You can find further details here: www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/volcontr/whentop-up.htm


Frequently asked...

Where can I find out more?

If you need more information, please contact us. A pension specialist from our team will be happy to help with whatever pensions-related question you have. Our help is always free.

We never contact our customers out of the blue
We're all ears How do you feel about the help you just received?

We would really appreciate a few minutes of your time.
Your feedback helps us create a better experience for you.