• The Pensions Advisory
    Service is provided by

Call: 0800 011 3797

Call: 0800 011 3797


Other State benefits

As well as the State Pension, there are many other benefits which you can claim. Some of them are listed below with links to the Government's own public services website - gov.uk - where you can find out more about each benefit.

Unfortunately, we are not able to answer questions about these benefits, so please use the contact details given below. 

Carer's allowance

Carer's allowance is a taxable benefit which helps people who are looking after a disabled person. The carer does not have to be related to, or live with, the person they care for. Click here to be redirected to gov.uk.


Child benefit

This is a payment you can claim for your child. It can be claimed by anyone who qualifies, whatever their income or saving.  You may have to pay a tax charge, known as the ‘High Income Child Benefit Charge’ if you have an individual income over £50,000 and either you or your partner get Child Benefit, someone else gets Child Benefit for a child living with you and they contribute at least an equal amount towards the child’s upkeep. It doesn’t matter if the child living with you is not your own child. Use the Child Benefit tax calculator to work out if you’re affected by the tax charge.

If you’re affected by the tax charge, you can choose not to get Child Benefit payments, but you should still fill in the Child Benefit claim form. This will help you get National Insurance credits which count towards your State Pension. If you already get Child Benefit, you can either stop getting Child Benefit (sometimes known as ‘opting out’) or carry on getting Child Benefit and pay any tax charge at the end of each tax year. Click here to be redirected to gov.uk. 


Cold weather payment

If you're getting certain benefits, you may be able to claim a cold weather payment for each week of very cold weather in your area. Click here to be redirected to gov.uk.


Council tax benefit

If you need financial help to pay your council tax, you may be able to claim council tax benefit. Click here to be redirected to gov.uk. 


Employment and support allowance (ESA)

Employment and support allowance (ESA) offers ill or disabled people financial support if they are unable to work, and personalised help so they can work if they are able to. You can apply for ESA whether you are employed, self-employed or unemployed. Click here to be redirected to gov.uk.


Housing benefit

If you're on a low income and need financial help to pay all or part of your rent, you may be able to claim housing benefit. Click here to be redirected to gov.uk.


Income Support

You may be able to claim income support if:

  • you have no income or a low income
  • are working less than 16 hours a week
  • have not signed on as unemployed.

If you claim income support, and have children, you can claim child tax credit. Click here to be directed to gov.uk.


Jobseekers' Allowance

Jobseeker's Allowance is the main benefit for people of working age, living in England, Wales or Scotland, who are out of work or work less than 16 hours a week on average. Working age, in this case, is normally between 18 and state pension age. If you're eligible, it is paid while you're looking for work. Click here to be redirected to gov.uk.


Personal independence payment/Disability living allowance

This is a tax-free benefit for anyone under 65 who, because of illness or disability, needs help looking after themselves or has walking difficulties. It used to be known as the disability living allowance. Click here to be redirected to gov.uk.


Universal credit

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income or out of work.

Universal Credit will replace the following benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Working Tax Credit

If you currently receive any of these benefits, you can’t claim Universal Credit at the same time.

Universal Credit is being introduced in stages across the UK. You don’t need to do anything until you hear from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) about moving to Universal Credit, unless you have a change in circumstances.  Click here to be redirected to gov.uk.


Winter fuel payment

If you are state pension age or over, you could get between £100 and £300 tax-free to help you pay for keeping warm in winter. You should receive it automatically if you get the state pension. Otherwise you need to make a claim. Click here to be redirected to gov.uk.


Working tax credit

Working tax credit is a benefit that can help you if you are aged over 16 and doing paid work for a certain number of hours each week, but your income is below a certain level. Click here to be redirected to gov.uk.


Frequently asked...

Where can I find out more?

If you need more information, please contact us. A pension specialist from our team will be happy to help with whatever pensions-related question you have. Our help is always free.

We never contact our customers out of the blue
We're all ears How do you feel about the help you just received?

We would really appreciate a few minutes of your time.
Your feedback helps us create a better experience for you.