Call us on 0300 123 1047

Financial rights for marriage - style partners

01 August 2007

Under final recommendations by the Law Commission, unmarried couples who split will be given the right to make divorce-style claims, for financial support from their partners.

The Law Commission has concluded that couples with children, or those who have been living together for a suggested period of between two and five years, should be able to seek most of the same financial remedies as people going through a divorce.

Partners could possibly claim a share of a pension under the Law Commission's recommendation.

The Law Commission is an independent body which advises the Government on law reform.

Share with:
Contact us

There are a number of ways to contact us.

We regret, however, that we are unable to accept visitors at our office.

0300 123 1047
or email us

Web chat
Talk to a pensions expert live now
This web chat service is available Monday to Friday (9am to 5pm) and Tuesdays (7pm to 9pm)